Don’t let your sink overflow by doing these things
Kitchen sinks are one of the most widely used plumbing fixtures in the house. Not only is it used often but it is used by everyone, which adds to the potential issues. You never realize how much you use it until your sink becomes clogged and starts backing up. There are several things you can educate your household about to help prevent a clogged kitchen drain.
Watch what you put down the drain
Most clogs in a kitchen sink start by putting the wrong things down the drain. Not all items should go down the drain including certain foods going into the disposal. Avoid putting the following items down the drain:
- Grease – It is best to drain grease into a can and dispose of it, do NOT pour it down the drain as it will solidify, causing your pipes to narrow and eventually clog.
- Large food particles – Putting larger pieces of food down the drain can cause your drains to clog, especially if there is a spot where the pipe is constricted from grease and other materials. Place all food pieces in the trash
- Disposal Don’ts – Do not put a lot of eggshells and fibrous materials, like corn husks, artichokes, etc., down your disposal, as they tend to build up and can cause a clog
In addition to being cautious about what goes down your kitchen drain, there are several steps you can take to help prevent your Kitchen Drain from Backing Up:
- Stopper – When you are not using the kitchen sink, washing dishes or draining out your sink ensure the stopper is in place. The stopper helps prevent items that should not go down the drain from going down the drain.
- Use a Professional Drain Treatment Product – Once a month you should use an Enzyme base drain treatment product that helps to emulsify grease, oils and fats without the harsh acids, alkaline or solvents
- DO NOT use Caustic Chemicals – Caustic drain cleaners can soften PVC pipes and damage older metal pipes, which can cause leaks to form in your plumbing system
- Hot Water Flush – If you have a slow flowing drain and suspect it is from grease, boil water in a pot and then add a little soap to the pan. Pour this mixture into the sink. This should help break some of the grease and allow water to flow.
Let us help you!
If you have a clogged kitchen drain which you cannot free, contact us today, 1-843-353-0461. Our plumbers are highly skilled and have a variety of different drain cleaning tools. We can help unclog the most difficult clogs, leaving you with a free-flowing drain!