5 Things to do if your AC is Blowing Hot Air this Summer
Your indoor air temperature makes it feel like summer in your house, now what?
It’s that time of year and your home feels as warm as the summer time air. Don’t panic, there are several things you can check before you call an HVAC Expert! Let’s take a closer look at what potential issues you can investigate yourself and what it may take to solve them:
- Thermostat: Double check the thermostat to ensure the temperature and programmed times are set to meet your home comfort needs. If everything is set properly, the unit may have failed and is no longer accessing the air temperature properly. It may be time to replace your thermostat.
- Air Filter: Dirty air filters can cause your air conditioning system to not run as efficiently and it can cause the system to overheat triggering it to shut off. Replacing your air filters often helps reduce the dirt and dust in your ductwork, system and house, while allowing your system to run effectively. Check your air filter and replace them if they are dirty.
- Dirty Coils: Look at your evaporator coils to see if there is dirt and debris around the coils. If the coils are extremely dirty, this can cause improper absorbing and dissipating of thermal energy, which can lead to warm air blowing through your air ducts. To fix this situation, use a soft brush to remove the dirt, and remove any debris around the unit. If the brush is not removing the dirt, it may be time to call a professional HVAC Technician to perform a thorough cleaning of the coils.
- Condensing Unit: Ensure yard debris/waste and other materials are not clogging the unit, causing it to work harder and potentially leading to other issues. Clear any tree limbs, leaves, etc. from around the unit to help with air exchange
- Low Refrigerant: Look at your lines on your condensing unit, if they are iced up, your refrigerant level is probably low. When the level drops, warm air and other problems result. Low levels are best checked by an HVAC Professional.
Hot air is not a time to panic, but knowing when to call the Pros can help!
When hot air is coming through your ductwork and it is summer, don’t panic. Check your thermostat to see if it is working properly, ensure your air filter is not dirty, make sure your coils and condensers are free of debris and look at the refrigerant lines. If you do everything you can and you still have hot air flowing into your house, it may be time to have a professional inspect your entire system. The pros at Dependable Service Plumbing & Air can fix it for you. Contact us so we can keep your HVAC system running as efficiently as possible.