Pipe Winterizing in Myrtle Beach, SC
Winterizing your pipes during the winter is recommended for all homes that are empty. It is especially important for buildings left vacant for long periods of time.
Winterizing your pipes can help prepare your plumbing for freezing temperatures known for causing leaks and bursts in your pipes. Additionally, as the water in your pipes freezes, it expands which leads to increased pressure in your pipes.
PREPARE YOUR HOME FOR WINTERIZING:
- Shut water off at the meter – most houses shutoff gate valves, whether behind the meter or under a carpet, are notorious for malfunctioning. The meter shutoff is the most reliable.
- Dependable Service will hook up a compressor and blow out the lines.
- Starting at the bottom of the house and working your way to the top, open all faucets, including hose bibs, fish/utility sinks, laundry sinks, inside and outside showers including beach showers.
- Flush all toilets.
- Shut off the circuit breaker to the water heater.
- Lower the house thermostats to 55 degrees.
- Add various amounts of non-staining anti-freeze to all the water in toilets (and a little in the tiny bit of water that remains in the tank), sinks (not in the disposal!) and all shower drains. Dependable Service will provide the required anti-freeze.
DE-WINTERIZING YOUR HOME IN MYRTLE BEACH, SC
In order to properly be able to utilize your plumbing, your home must be de-winterized to reverse winterizing on a house that was left vacant during the winter.
De-winterizing will restore your home to it’s normal function through undoing the protective measures needed during the colder months. The professionals at Dependable Service will do a series of tests to make sure your system is ready to return to normal use.
- Our professionals will close off the faucets throughout your home, open the meter valve and check for any split pipes that may have suffered damage during the winter.
- We will operate all faucets and toilets, turn on the circuit breaker to the water heater and re-set the thermostats.
WHEN TO WINTERIZE IN MYRTLE BEACH, SC
With South Carolina’s constantly fluctuating weather it can seem impossible to know when to winterize your home. Luckily, with weather apps and forecasts you are able to see 10 to 15 days in advance so you can determine if winterization is needed. Scheduling your service ahead of time is crucial to ensure that the professionals at Dependable Service are able to fully protect your home.
There are several factors that determine the necessity for winterizing your home. Homes directly on the beach or out in the open should also factor in wind chills or prolonged cold snaps into their decision-making. Raised style beach homes with exposed exterior water pipes are especially susceptible to the harshness of winter.